Joomla 1.5 has no upgrade path to 2.5. If you are still using 1.5 you need to upgrade or you will get hacked. It’s only a matter of when not if. However their upgrade path is utter garbage. It’s broken 10 times over and absurd. Here’s how.
- Enable System – Mootools Upgrade in Plugin Manager
- Download JUpgrade, except the download page sucks and took me a few hours to figure out I had to “add to cart” the free plugin. Did you know Mega is a site you can host files on? Install the plugin when you have it.
- Click components, JUpgrade
- Don’t even try upgrading it won’t work and the plugin is totally broken. Click Parameters and skip the checks and download. Save.
- Copy the latest Joomla 2.5 (a zip file) into /your_joomla/tmp and make sure it’s named exactly joomla25.zip
- Now start the upgrade. Upgrade is a bad name more like copy some of your pages maybe if I feel like it. It’s a partial migration tool at best that I assume was made by the WordPress team to encourage users to switch.
- Fix the 1000 problems you’ve introduced. Don’t worry it makes a copy for joomla 2.5, your 1.5 site is still fine for now (till it gets hacked any day now). You can start here.
- Migrate to wordpress when you have more time because any product that has no upgrade path sucks. WordPress is a one click upgrade and I’ve never seen it break templates (YMMV).