I’ve been thinking about starting a business after I get a few more years of work experience. Some type of computer retail and software consulting thing. Here’s some random things that might be fun and profitable that could be thrown together under one roof.
- Sell custom computers without bloatware. Linux, Windows, even Hackintoshes. Preload software that is actually useful. Instead of Microsoft Works, use OpenOffice. Instead of some trial for anti virus for Windows, ClamWin or AVG. Have different versions ie (Student, easy enough for grandma, hAx0R 1337 teenager),
- Allow anyone to use the computers on display, as long as they want. Sell some coffee and pastries to them (think Barnes and Noble with Starbucks) When they see our $300 linux box outperforms their $700 spyware ridden and bloated Dell they will want one.
- Lease option. Offer to manage computer remotely. Many people might just want a Internet or Word processing appliance. This lets them forget about all the computery things like updates.
- Lauch computer donation project. Recruit volunteers to do most of the work. Could generate some buzz amongst the geeks in the community, a major target market.
- Develop software for anything. Try phone apps, websites, consulting, email, web hosting. Just see what works.
We’ll see where this goes.